Korg Delta Project update: Tested OK

I now have the chip in the socket and the board back in the Delta. And it works!When I think about how much potential there was for disaster, how the hell did I get away with it?

Tomorrow, maybe, when I have stopped patting myself on the back, I will try the FOUR S10430 chips I have been waiting to test for a bloody YEAR.

Maybe not tomorrow, actually – I need to pick up a Casio CZ1000.. not working of course. UPS have "lost" it..

See the image? – notice that the closer big chip now sits higher? Yes!

Korg Delta Project Update: old S10430 chip re-installed

I have tidied up the soldering on the chip socket. Hopefully there are no shorts.After a LOT of jiggling, I managed to re-install my original S10430 – this time in the socket. Next up, try it in the Delta..

Korg Delta Project update: S10430 removed. Socket in.

So, I got around to it. Desoldered the S10430 using my new soldering iron. Built-in led work light! Oh, and a desoldering pump. Pretty easy. Especially easy because I had an IC Extractor tool..

(Please note: I bought a Duratool Soldering Kit. Includes all the tools and bits I needed –  Except the IC extractor)

Got the dip socket in place easy enough, but soldering it in place was a pig.
Still need to check for bad joints.
Four of the pads are now missing..
I had a go at pushing the old S10430 into the socket, but it wasn’t having any of that.

This message was sent from my phone. Please excuse the brevity and any typos. Thanks

Korg Delta Project Problems

Turns out the S10430 chips are NOT in sockets. So I needed to remove the board. Easy peasy. All the wiring is unpluggable. Then six screws, and.. the corner of the board fell off. Great.This synth has had a few knocks.
It also turns out that the RHS end panel has a chunk missing. Now looking for a replacement for that..

This slideshow requires JavaScript.